Monday, May 24, 2010

The Sads

The following are some items that give me the sads:
  • The Wire is over.  I was a latecomer to The Wire.  I am a latecomer to many outstanding TV shows, mostly because I don't like new things.  Like, Matt got the first season of The West Wing on DVD when we moved in together in 2003, and I bitched and moaned about how much it sucked.  This is because the first and only episode of WW I had seen was a "very special episode" that aired right after September 11, 2001.  The characters all have monologues wherein they educate the children about Islam and prejudice.  I thought the show was a little preachy.  I finally gave it a shot, though, and I have now gone through the whole series literally dozens of times.  It was like that with The Wire, too.  I don't think I watched one episode live.  I prefer to watch whole series in marathon form.  It's just my style.  I don't like the suspense.  Anyway, I've watched  The West Wing to death, and I really didn't want to do that with The Wire.  Matt and I watched it over the Christmas Holiday, and we started it up again when the baby came home.  We finished the last episode of season 5 last night.  It makes me terribly sad.  These past few weeks, when I am feeling exhausted and frustrated and blue, it was so comforting to sit next to my husband and watch the Baltimore murder police solve the case.  Season 5 is my favorite.  I won't get into a discussion about which season is the best, because there is no best, they are all outstanding, it's just that 5 is my favie.  I'd make the argument that Scott Templeton, the dishonest reporter, is the most irredeemably despicable character in the whole series.  The man has no code.  Anyway, it makes me sad that not only is the series over, but our most recent run through of it is over, as well.  What are we supposed to watch now?  I'm open to suggestions.
  • The Cluck U near us closed.  Cluck U has delicious boneless, skinless, buffalo chicken breasts.  I didn't appreciate this until I was pregnant, and by that time, the Cluck U that was 10 minutes away and delivered to our house (!) had closed because they hired incompetent teenagers to run it.  Seriously, once they delivered to our house when we hadn't even ordered.  We still took the wings, but that's no way to run a business.  Now, we have to go all the way to Parole to get the fix.  That's 25 minutes away.  
  • Flagler is rubbing his butt on the carpet again.  That only means one thing: the pug needs his anal glands expressed.  
  • My weight loss has slowed.  I lost 25 pounds in the three weeks since Temple was born.  Now, I acknowledge that most of that was baby and baby's house, but it still felt like an accomplishment. Between last Sunday and yesterday, I gained a half a pound.  This means, of course, that I am going to be a dumpy overweight hausfrau for the rest of my life.
  • I had a C-Section.  I still can't believe that I wasn't able to give birth the old fashioned way.  I suppose it was the right medical decision, but I feel like a failure.  I feel like I missed out, and if I had done something differently, I may not still be recovering from Temple's birth, and caring for a three week old would be just a little easier.  Not to mention I now have a classy scar.  The surgery went perfectly, and I am recovering very well, probably better than average.  I know that the important things are a healthy baby and healthy mamma, and I have that, but I can't help it.  I have regrets.  

I think I am supposed to be making a list of things I am grateful for everyday, rather than a list of things that make me sad.  That'll be my next post.  


1 comment:

  1. I do the same thing! I like watching series after everyone tells me how good they are and I can cram all of the episodes in over a few weeks. Plus, I don't have cable.

    OK, this is hi-nerd but Battlestar Gallactica (the new one) RULES. Watch it.

    And don't be sad! You are super mom. Send the happy list.

    ReplyDelete