Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Kindness

Yesterday, I went to Sam's Club to get Temple a crate of diapers.  She wears a size 5 now.  She's got her mamma's junk in the trunk.  As we were getting back in the car, I was telling T about all the other errands we were going to do before going home for lunch.  Then my car wouldn't start.  I had left the light on several times, draining the battery, and now the thing was just done.  Fortunately, Sam's has an auto store, and it only took a few minutes for a nice gentleman to give the car a jump, but I took it as a sign that I should schedule the 100,000 maintenance.  
Good thing I did, because this morning, the sucker wouldn't start again.  I jumped her again with Matt's estranged truck, and we headed toward the dealer for service.  Our favorite diner, Double T, is less than a mile from the dealer, but rain clouds loomed.  We left the car and hustled our buns up West Street.  It started raining when we were about a quarter mile away.  We took refuge at a gas station while I put the poncho over the small section of stroller not covered by the water resistant canopy.
To this point, I was, surprisingly, holding it together, but I could have fallen in to a bad mood/panic easily.
We were seated, and I ordered myself eggs to eat, and got Temple some pancakes to throw around.  She ate zero pancakes, but did have some beef sausage.  She mostly chewed on containers of cream and jelly.
Except for the pancake throwing, she was very well behaved and darling, as usual.
When I asked for the check, the waiter told me that someone had already paid it, and wouldn't tell me who it was.  Isn't that nice?  The kindness of strangers made my day.  I'll proceed with gratitude and pay it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment